Monday, November 3, 2008

Basic Truth to Learn

Today has been an interesting day so far, and I hold a belief that somehow tells me deep inside that it’s only going to keep getting better. What is in store for me? Who knows….only God! But what I do know is that I never ever wake up super early, much less with a smile on my face, and this morning, at like 6 am sharp all I could seem to do was smile as I lay in bed. It was as if God was right there in my head showing me things that were making me laugh, showing me things that I can’t believe, and just being there with me as the morning sun began to rise. I know, I know, kind of weird right? But at the same time so wonderful! The even weirder part is that although I was kind of awake, I was also still resting, possibly even sleeping, but in a different way. Every so often, I would open my eyes laughing, and look at the clock that stated how early it still was, haha! Finally around 7:40 am I decided to just get up because I could not help myself. I began praying for the people God has placed in my heart recently as well as for the day, which again, I believe is only going to keep getting better. Talk about waking up on the right side of the bed…..today is my day! After a quick refresher of water on my face, I wasn’t quite sure what to do, but figured, if God woke me up then the least I could do was spend some time with Him. Picking my Bible up from my side table, I began to read.

Let me just say, that God is amazing! I picked up my reading where I left off yesterday. The book is Hebrews, chapter 6. Now coming from chapter 5, Paul is sharing the fact that we as Christians need to work at becoming mature in Christ, not live off of spiritual milk as babies do. I love how he opens up chapter 6, “So let us stop going over the basics of Christianity again and again.” Man, it sounds to me like he was having a bit of a hard time with the people, but the great thing is that from the teachings he gave them, we too can learn today. As I kept reading I got to verse 10 that states, “For God is not unfair. He will not forget how hard you have worked for him and how you have shown your love to him by caring for other Christians, as you still do. Our great desire is that you will keep right on loving others as long as life lasts, in order to make certain that what you hope for will come true.” WOW! This verse brought me back to what my last post was talking about! Remember how I was saying that from the experience I recently had I felt like there had been some type of interconnection between two strangers only by God’s mercy and love? Well that is what I am getting from this verse. Paul is letting the people know that we show God how much we love him by loving others, by loving each other. How many have forgotten this basic notion? How much better would the “Church” be today if we all had this mentality? If we began to love each other the way we are supposed to, if we began to feel for each other and care for one another? This connects with what is said in Romans 12: 9-16. We are reminded here that we should be devoted to one another in brotherly love; that we are to rejoice with those who rejoice and mourn with those who mourn, and share with God’s people who are in need. Again…WOW! What has happened to this church? What has happened to the people of God? Have we been so consumed in the selfish views of this world that we have forgotten that we are called to love and serve one another as fellow believers? It makes me sad to think of it that way, but it is the truth! If we only knew how fulfilling it is to practice these truths. This past week, when I was able to pour of myself into someone else’s life, it made my week. It was the best feeling I have had in a long time, a joy that does not compare, and a longing to keep doing the same over and over again. This is what God has created us for….for relationship with each other, for communion and fellowship with Him and each other, so what are we waiting for, what are we holding back for? I know that I don’t want to live a life any less that what God knows I am capable of living, and in order to live that life out, I must be willing to let go of my selfish ways and really begin to practice the truths spoken in His word. Only in this way will I ever be satisfied, because then I will finally be living out my life under the example of my Highest Priest, Jesus Christ!

No comments: